What are my responsibilities as a resident?
- Residents will simply dispose of organic/compostable waste in your existing green waste bin.
- Investing in a kitchen trash bin used specifically for organics is recommended and will make this process easy.
What are my responsibilities as a business?
- Any business with 2 cubic yards of trash or more weekly is required to recycle organics and food waste.
- Food service businesses must donate edible food to food recovery organizations with others starting in 2024. This will help feed the almost 1 in 4 Californians without enough to eat.
- California has a goal to redirect 20% of edible food currently thrown away to people in need by 2025.
Self-Haulers (contractors, construction workers, landscapers, etc.)
What are my responsibilities as a self-hauler?
- Self-haulers will need to ensure all organic compostable materials — such as hedge and tree trimmings, cardboards, wood scraps, etc. — are separated from landfill materials and properly disposed of.